"The icing on the cake is when other people enjoy your vision and support what you do." - Cise Star
Do you ever wonder where a cake idea comes from? Sometimes they come from out of the blue, sometimes they are inspired by photos provided by the client, or they may be inspired by current trends in the cake world or popular culture.
Here are a couple of my sketches with initial cake concept and the cake. I am artistic and can draw a tiny bit, but my cake sketches aren’t a reflection of that.
My process for creating a custom cake is outlined below.
1. A call or e-mail is received from the client regarding a custom cake. During the consultation we discuss what they have in mind for the cake (colors, themes, flavors). As the client tells me what they have in mind, ideas comes to mind regarding the creative direction of the cake. Sometimes photos are provided for inspiration. I prefer to design custom cakes for clients so that they can have a unique cake for their special occasion. A quote is provided and once the cake has been paid for, the design process starts.
2. A detailed list that has potential ideas for the cake is written and a quick sketch for visual purposes is drawn.
3. After I have an idea in mind, I use Pinterest, Google, and You Tube to do photo and technique research for inspiration.
4. Once the cake idea has been finalized, I sketch out the cake idea with noted details (as seen in the photos).
5. A supply list made and supplies are ordered and purchased.
6. The cake is baked. All of our cakes are baked from scratch, so the baking process also involves making any fruit or special fillings for the cake. The fillings are made after the cake has been baked so that they will be ready when it's time to fill the cake.
7. The cake is filled and frosted. We make all our of buttercream from scratch, and the cakes are filled and crumb coated. After the cakes are chilled, a final coat of buttercream is put on the cake. The cake is them put into the refrigerator to chill until time to add the final details on the cake.
8. Decorative details such as fondant details, decoration of the cake drum, and cake toppers are made around the same time of the baking and frosting process so that they will be ready to place on the cake when it's time to complete the final decoration.
9. The final decoration and finishing touches are added to the cake.
10. Photos are taken of the cake and edited. Once the cake has been delivered to the client, the photos are posted to social media and the website.
And there you have it! The cake process from start to finish!